What is car diagnostics?
Car diagnostics is a routine inspection of the car, its testing and analysis of various electronic systems and drive mechanisms, after a certain mileage, which allows you to determine the technical condition of the car without the need to disassemble it, at a certain point in time. It allows you to quickly and efficiently restore the machine as a whole, timely detect malfunctions, as well as the causes of problems and the ability to qualitatively eliminate them. To normalize parts, assemblies, assemblies and other components. In order to make it more convenient to work with diagnostics, all electronic components of the car are equipped with diagnostic equipment, which has its own memory. Thanks to them, continuous monitoring of the operating parameters of electronic units and on-board mechanisms is achieved.
Checking is important when repairs are necessary, since a successful repair is possible only with high-quality and accurate diagnostics, in order to prevent maintenance of the technical characteristics of the machine in good condition. If you carry out such diagnostics of the car periodically (but not too often, as this can lead to significant wear of the connecting surfaces, fastening combinations, as well as leakage), then this will significantly reduce the risk of breakdowns.
And this is a guarantee of safe and long-term operation of your car. There are several types of vehicle diagnostics.
All these methods used in practice differ from each other in the degree of accuracy and duration of the process.
Types of car diagnostics
- Visual inspection.
This method does not require specific equipment, since it allows, by external signs, to determine the entire operation of the car according to standard indicators. Diagnostics can be carried out both during the operation of the machine and on the stand intended for this. Particular attention is paid to the presence of extraneous noise, vibration, shades of exhaust gases, the condition of filters, electrical wiring, visible components and assemblies. This type of vehicle check is used both in the general analysis of the vehicle and in the assessment of its individual components.
- The second type of diagnostics is according to the parameters that accompany during operation. This often gives a more accurate picture. Thermal method – allows you to determine the amount of heat that is released during combustion or friction, often used to check the engine, transmission or bearings in different units. The tightness of objects is assessed – often it is determined by the excess pressure or its drop during the operation of the machine. This test method is used for transmission units, cylinder-piston group and pneumatic drive units. Waste Material Analysis – Used to assess the amortization of connecting rod bushings or main bearings.
- The third type of car diagnostics includes the most common method, the foundation of which is the monitoring of geometric parameters, such as steering wheel play, free play, knocks and noises in the engine crank mechanism.
When it comes to diagnosing a car, first you need to fully realize that this procedure requires a certain amount of time. Indeed, in a short period of time, the problem cannot be identified. Despite the final result, at which it may turn out that the malfunction was minimal and insignificant, the diagnosis will take at least half an hour. First, you need to read the codes, then erase them, start and re-read them. Then the codes are decrypted, and the diagnostic card is printed.
A real specialist will not limit himself to only reading the error and making recommendations for replacing various mechanisms, he will also carry out a number of complex actions to check the correctness of the decryption of indications – the electronic control unit. Often the cause of a malfunction of a car or its separate unit, which is signaled by the dashboard, is inattention and haste inherent in some masters, as a result of which some necessary sensors simply do not return to their place in the control unit.
- Computer diagnostics
What is computer diagnostics?
Computer diagnostics of the car helps to avoid a software failure or malfunction in the functioning of elements of complex mechanisms. As part of diagnostic activities, the error codes are read and processed, which were found during the analysis of the operation of the main components and assemblies.
Diagnostic equipment includes specialized controls such as brand-specific diagnostic scanners, multifunction stands, and portable readers known as “readers.” All these devices are connected to the auto diagnostic connector. Specialized computer equipment allows not only to record any changes in the operation of various systems, but also to erase the found error codes in order to correct them.
The driver can learn about possible defects and current errors in advance. The on-board systems of a modern car are equipped with an electronic control unit with a self-diagnosis function that analyzes the main systems of the car and notifies the driver about their malfunction.
Stages of computer diagnostics
Computer diagnostics, regardless of the make and model of the car, includes several stages. Usually, it takes a specialist about 30 minutes to comprehensively diagnose all vehicle malfunctions. The analysis time for one system, for example, ABS, takes about 10-15 minutes. To make sure that the actions of the service center employee are correct, it is important for the car owner to know how the diagnostics are going.
- Usually, the first stage is general computer diagnostics, during which testing takes place without activating the main systems. Analog testing at this stage is carried out in order to check the electrical system, namely: connections, battery and generator.
- During dynamic testing, the machine is fixed on a stand equipped with special sensors, through which data on the operation of systems is transmitted for further analysis to a computer.
- At this stage, the database collected by the onboard system is deleted (reset), and the control device is activated to collect information. Error codes recorded during the diagnostics process are deciphered using professional applications. As a result, the specialist receives accurate information about the malfunction of any electronic system in the car.
How often is it recommended to diagnose a car?
Car manufacturers recommend carrying out computer diagnostics at least once a year, provided that the car is in good working order, and icons with errors are not visible on the on-board computer. If you hear strange sounds, uncharacteristic for a car jerking or jerking while driving, you should contact a reliable service center as soon as possible in order to thoroughly diagnose all systems.
Computer diagnostics of a car engine is carried out in the event that you notice that the engine emits extraneous sounds, is unstable, loses power, and fuel consumption has changed upward. During diagnostics, specialists usually check the injection system, the correct functioning of the electrics, and also measure the compression.
Diagnostics of an automatic transmission is shown in case of problems with shifting gears, jerks, jerks and slippages unusual for a car, or when an oil leak is detected.
The suspension should be checked if the rubber of the car wears out unevenly, and a loud knocking is heard during maneuvers while driving. In addition to computer diagnostics, the service station employee is obliged to conduct a visual inspection of the faulty system and give the necessary recommendations for car repair.
Why choose our company for auto diagnostics?
Highly qualified specialists of our company carry out high-quality computer diagnostics using certified equipment recommended by foreign car manufacturers. A high level of service and cost-effective work for car owners are the main reasons for the trust of our many customers. Modern diagnostic systems that we use allow us to timely detect malfunctions, significantly reducing the cost of maintaining and further repairing the car.